Friday nights are often pizza night in many homes and if you’re looking for a delicious and healthy alternative, here’s the recipe for you. So what exactly is broccoli rabe? You may know it as rapini or broccoletti and it’s a leafy vegetable with small green buds that look like baby broccoli. In taste it’s nutty and a little bitter and goes great with the flavors of pizza. It’s in it’s peak season now through spring so take advantage.
This recipe calls for whole wheat pizza dough which you can make for yourself or buy fresh at Trader Joe’s. If you want to add some meat to this pizza, roast in the oven or on the grill some sweet Italian sausage then slice and arrange on the pizza with all of the other ingredients.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 ball (1 lb.) whole-wheat pizza dough
4 ounces broccoli rabe, cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces
About 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-low heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil and brush all over pan.
2. Press dough with your hands, working on a floured surface, into a 13-in. round. Press into frying pan so it comes up sides slightly. Cook until golden on bottom, 5 minutes. Slide onto a plate.
3. Add remaining oil to pan along with the vegetables, salt, and chile. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until peppers begin to brown. Transfer to a plate.
4. Invert dough back into pan, golden side up, and press down into pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, leaving a border around edge. Scatter vegetables over cheese and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
5. Bake pizza in pan until crust is crisp, about 15 minutes. Cut into wedges.