I love Christmas. Like, really love it. I know you can’t really “love” an idea or event. Love is supposed to be reserved for other people. But this is a special case. My love for the holiday season knows no bounds. I have Christmas music on my iPod year round. I started listening to it in September. Actually, I believe I fell asleep to Michael Buble’s Christmas album last night. There is currently a Santa hat hanging on the door to my room, and I literally am dreaming of a white Christmas.
My friends are baffled by my obsession. While discussing it at lunch the other day, one of them jokingly asked me if I already had a Christmas countdown. Offended by his mockery of my merry mentality, he has been receiving a text every day notifying him of the days left until Christmas. He begs me to end his agony and stop the countdown, but I refuse. Don’t mess with me and my Christmas.
I’ve never understood the portrayal of adults around Christmas time. You know what I mean. The idea that the older you get, the more Christmas just turns into a stress-inducing event where the only positive side effect is a food coma so epically large that you pass out and miss the depressing festivities. To that I can only respond, excuse me?? Where is your child-like joy and wonder? Where is you appreciation of this magical time of year. People need a reminder of why the holidays are so special. So here it is.
Alex Smith’s Top Five Best Things About Christmas
5. It is stunningly beautiful. I don’t care if you hate the cold, or get snowed into your house, or lose power. There is to be ABSOLUTELY NO COMPLAINING about the weather. There is a reason people write songs about winter wonderlands. They are fantastic. Next time it snows, just glance out the window. A blanket of quiet white tranquility is descending upon the earth, and we have been granted the privilege of experiencing it. If you don’t live in a cold area where it snows, then just Google some pictures. Or take a road trip. Seriously, you cannot miss this.
4. Starbucks’ holiday drinks have finally arrived. ‘Nuff said.
3. You get time off of work/school. Come on people, everyone loves a vacation! Even if all you do during that vacation is sit at home and watch ABC Family’s 25 days of Christmas… not that I do that…
2. Gift giving. I don’t know about you, but I love Christmas shopping. Yes, you have to spend money, and yes, you have to invest some serious time at the mall. But nothing can beat that feeling when you are looking and looking for the perfect gift, and all of the sudden BOOM. You are staring right at it. You know that your mom/dad/boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend/dog will love it. And let’s be real here, who doesn’t feel like a super hero when the recipient opens their gift with genuine joy on their face?
1. ‘Tis the season… Christmas forces you to take a step back and think about what you have in your life. And when you really think about, you have a lot. I love to whine as much as the next person, but I just can’t do it around Christmas. I have family and friends, I have hot chocolate and peppermint bark, I have happiness. I have to look for it sometimes, but it’s there. You have it too, I promise. So this Christmas, drop that bah-humbug attitude and celebrate. Sing it with me!
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…”
Here’s a Christmas Movie Montage to help get you into the spirit: